Best Dry Dog Food for Cushing's Disease
The other day I was scrolling through Reddit when I saw something both heartbreaking and terrifying:
“My friend’s dog has Cushing’s Disease & a brain tumour. We need IMMEDIATE food suggestions, please! The dog is getting thinner by the day!
We’ve tried nearly everything.
- Baby Food
- Dog Food (Canned & Dry)
We have taken the dog to the vet and the vet said there is nothing we can do! They just said just keep trying to get Sally (Dog’s name) to eat.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!”
Imagine the countless hours, sleepless nights, and draining of their bank account on food that simply did not work for their dog.
Our goal is to save you countless hours, sleepless nights, panic, anxiety, and hundreds of dollars down the drain.
We are suggesting five dry dog foods that have been demonstrated through testing to be loved by dogs with cushings disease. These dog foods are the closest thing to getting dog food for free because they offer a money back guarantee.
Pet Plate is the best choice on our list for your dog with Cushing’s disease. Unlike other dog foods, Pet Plate Chompin Chicken makes sure your dog stays a healthy weight so they can live a long life of love with you. This is one of the only dog foods that save you money on extra groceries feeding your dog human food to get your dog to eat. You do not have to worry about your dog rejecting the food unlike other dog foods because there is a money-back guarantee.
There is nothing artificial about the food. The most complete human grade and delicious food that meets AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles so your dog will eat it and not throw up. You can sleep well knowing your dog is in good health. Save money on expensive vet bills in an attempt to figure out how to get your dog to stop throwing up. The simple solution is changing the dog food to Pet Plate.
Pet Plate is one of the only dog foods embracing full transparency. Displaying their ingredients so you can save hours researching online about what’s in your dog’s food.
Made with chicken, sweet potatoes, apples, red lentils, flaxseed, and green beans to restore your dog’s muscles so you two can play fetch and go on long walks again.
Pet Plate Chompin Chickin is picky-eater approved with high protein and low fat which is great for weight management. Your dog can continue to do what makes your dog a dog. Running, playing, and jumping while loving you every second of it.
Benefits of Pet Plate Diet:
Pet Plate chomping chicken dry food diet meals will provide the following benefits:
- Real reviews with real stories like this one from Jackie A.
“Cody is a picky eater and often time would walk away from his kibble. Since we started him on Pet Plate he runs to his bowl now! We love the convenience of preparing and storing his food. But more importantly, we love how energetic and happy Cody is as he approaches his 1st Birthday-March 29th!”
- Better management of your dog’s weight means your dog can continue to do what makes your dog a dog. Running, playing, and jumping while loving you every second of it.
- Improved gut health so you will never see your dog on their side in the middle of the living room floor crying out in pain because their stomach is struggling to process food.
- A better coat means you save hundreds of dollars spent on products that do not help your dog’s fur grow back.
- Increased energy levels mean more time spent in the dog park putting a smile on your face.
- This is the Best Dry Dog Food for Cushing’s Disease and the only dog food on our list with 100% 5-star reviews from over 100 reviewers.
Meals start at $0.56 a day cheaper than the price of gas station coffee so you have more money for your dog’s medical bills.
Coming in at only $0.33 a day Wysong Synorgon is the closest thing to putting money back in your pocket each month. Synorgon™ is higher in meats, protein, and lower in fat than other foods creating ease of digestion so your dog will poop regularly once more. You will no longer be fearing the worst when your dog is struggling to go to the bathroom because they will not struggle anymore.
One of the only diet foods created by an actual Doctor specifically for your dog. Wysong was created by Dr. Wysong Synorgon owes its popularity solely to veterinary recommendation and word of mouth. Created by a doctor you can be confident that your dog will regain its appetite. One of the most advanced diet foods has been fed to tens of thousands of dogs through multiple generations for over thirty years. The only dry dog food on this list that has tens of thousands of dogs who love to eat this food so you can regain confidence in your dog’s health and over-perform at work once more.
Wysong Synorgon is not processed. Unlike other dry foods, there has never been any like this before which is formulated using new oxidation methods to ease the digestion of your dog. No more stained carpets or ruined dinner parties. You will no longer live on eggshells waiting for the next time your dog is going to throw up when feeding them Synorgon.
Containing the required levels of vitamins and minerals to help your dogs fight the side effects of Cushing’s disease medications.
Meaning your dog will not have to be subjected to costly side effects that make it challenging for your dog to be the playful fun-loving and compassionate animal you have known your whole life.
Benefits of Wysong Synorgon:
Synorgon Chicken and Rice Cultivated Diet Dog Food for Cushing’s Disease provides the following benefits.
- Only $0.33 a day this dry dog food is the best purchase to put money back into your pocket each month
- High protein levels will help your dog recover lost muscle and return to the weekly jog by your side
- This is the one-stop shop for your dog with cushings disease. Treat cognitive function, Cushing’s disease, increase energy and ease digestion so you save hundreds of dollars not needing to purchase expensive medication.
Best Non-Processed Natural Dry Dog Food for Cushing’s DiseaseTruDog’s Feed Me Turkey-Freeze Dried Raw Superfood 14 Oz
The best way to preserve the original nutrients in food is to avoid processing it and serve it raw. The Feed Me Turkey Freeze is raw, delicious, and rich in nutrients. No more listening to your dog whine for table scraps and feeling guilty about yourself if you do not feed your pooch. Now you can feel confident in yourself knowing that you did the right thing for your dog as they eat TruDog dog food specialized for helping them with their cushing’s disease condition.
Unlike other foods TruDog is made from 100% real food. Real turkey cuts, including the heart, liver, and ground bone topped with herring oil. No more losing sleep at night wondering if your dog’s food is an issue. Which means you can put down the harmful sleeping pills doing long term damage to your liver and get a deep night’s rest.
Your dogs allergies are kept in mind because this food is the only dry food on this list that is hypoallergenic. You will never have to race to the emergency room putting your life in danger to save your dog from an allergic reaction.
Made for dogs of all ages and breeds meaning your dog can eat this food too. Buying this all in one dog food made for any dog breed, size, or weight will save you hours of research online and hundreds of dollars flushed down the drain on products that do not fit your dogs needs.
Why buy other foods that may not be right for your dog’s breed, size, age, or weight? Fine go ahead. Waste your money.
Benefits of TruDog Feed Me Turkey Freeze Raw Diet:
Here are the benefits your dog will derive from this unprocessed food for your dog with Cushing’s Disease.
- A healthy gut
- Helps with weight management
- An improved immune system
- Better energy and overall health
- Healthier teeth and gums
This is the top-recommended dog food by veterinarians for dogs with Cushing’s disease. Save money on veterinarian bills and get the food that is already recommended by vets. You will have more money to spend on toys for your dog and taking vacation rather than drowning in debt from paying expensive vet bills. It is specially formulated to help your dog overcome digestive health problems. This, in turn, enables it to build and repair damaged tissues, digest protein sufficiently, and regulate levels of fat in the blood. Which means your dog will no longer be in pain after eating. You will no longer have to watch your dog suffer after eating powerless to help.
Hills Prescription Diet supports a healthy immune system in dogs saving you thousands of dollars on vet bills because your dog will live the closest to a life without cushing illness.
Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat meets the appropriate nutrient standards for a dog with Cushing disease. Unlike other dry foods your dog’s body will actually benefit from the nutrients instead of processing them out. Resulting in a dog that is healthier than ever and you will feel happier than ever knowing your dog is going to live a long life with you.
This is the only dry dog food on this list that is clinically proven to calm & smooth the digestive tract in dogs that have cushing. Containing a low fat percentage it is an effective diet for dogs with cushings disease. Which means you will never have to leave for the bathroom on the verge of tears out of fear and worry that your best friend who has been by your side for their whole life will not be able to continue being by your side for the remainder of their life.
Hill’s prescription low fat chicken dog food diet is a worthy buy for a number of reasons.
One of the best is that every purchase of this diet food you will save a doggo from going to a homeless shelter and being euthanized. Yes, Hills Prescription Diet Dry Food has saved over 11 million dogs from euthanization with the help of people like yourself. Do the right thing and contribute to saving their lives so you will not have to live a life of regret. Fine. Go ahead. Buy another dry doggo food but do not cry to me when you cannot sleep at night. Haunted by the image of dogs suffering abuse in animal shelters and ultimately being put to rest through euthanization.
Dry Dog Food Benefits of Hill’s Prescription Diet:
Hill’s prescription low fat chicken dog food diet is a worthy buy for a number of reasons.
- Improves your dog’s digestion and enhances nutrient absorption
- Increases the beneficial microflora in your dog’s gut
- Hinders the formation of urinary stones
- Improves your dog’s immunity
- It is highly digestible and contains antioxidants
- An excellent choice for healthy dogs as well
Room For Improvement for Hill’s Prescription Diet Pet Dog Food:
Although this is a prescription diet, the prices are quite high.
Bonus: Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Savor is a great choice for pet owners with a strict budget. Excellent grain-free nutrition for an adult pet. It is specially formulated food for dogs that help to maintain a healthy coat and skin, with added natural prebiotic fiber to promote digestive health.
Purina’s crude protein minimum percentage is 32%, while that of its crude fat is 16%. The maximum percentage of its crude fiber is 5%, and the percent of the moisture is 12%.
This option can be found in the form of canned food as well. Many people prefer dry matter for treating Cushing’s disease in dogs.
Key Benefits of Purina Pro Plan Savor:
- Made with real turkey and chicken meat, grain-free
- It is formulated with optimal levels of protein and fat
- Added vitamin A and linoleic acid
- Added omega-6 fatty acid
- Added natural prebiotic fibers sourced from chicory root
- No artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or by-product meals
Room For Improvement for Purina Pro Plan Savor:
Small breed dogs may find it hard to chew. Even it’s a grain-free formula that can be used as food for Cushing’s, it can be lower in fat.
What is Cushing’s Syndrome in dogs?
Cushing’s disease is a disease of the adrenal gland, which is characterized by excessive secretion of cortisol in the blood. Such a condition harms all organs in the body of the pet. The disease is most often present in dogs older than six years, and very rarely in cats. Cortisol is a steroid stress hormone produced by the adrenal glands. When any stressful situation occurs, cortisol is secreted, which enables the organism to adapt to stress. In healthy dogs, when the pituitary gland receives a signal from the brain that the body needs cortisol, it begins to secrete the hormone ACTH, which then stimulates the adrenal gland to produce cortisol. When a sufficient amount of cortisol is secreted, both the pituitary and adrenal glands stop secreting ACTH and cortisol. Dogs with Cushing’s disease have this process disturbed.
How Does it occur?
Cushing’s disease occurs in three forms:
- The pituitary-dependent form is present in about 85% of cases, and a mostly benign pituitary tumor causes it. Cancer leads to increased secretion of ACTH, which stimulates the adrenal gland to produce more cortisol.
- Adrenal gland dependent form occurs due to tumors of the adrenal gland, which happens in 15% of cases. In this case, the tumor, which can also be malignant, causes excessive cortisol production, while the ACTH level is normal.
- Iatrogenic form of this disease occurs in the middle of excessive intake of synthetic cortisol-cortisone. Although these medications can help a dog’s quality of life, their overuse can lead to serious side effects.
How To Recognize Cushing’s Syndrome in Dogs?
The common symptoms of a Cushing’s disease may be mild at first, but later progress as the disease progresses day by day. Almost all dogs with this disease have increased thirst, urination, urinary tract infections, and a strong appetite. Furthermore, skin infections, hair loss, wounds that cannot heal, and the accumulation of calcium in the skin, which form bumps resembling a stone, can occur. There is also muscle weakness and bloating due to fat deposition. In dogs with diabetes, due to this disease, blood sugar levels cannot be regulated regardless of insulin therapy. Very rarely, there are symptoms of a neurological nature that are a consequence of the growth of the tumor itself, and that is depression, disorientation, muscle wasting and behavioral changes.
Every pet owner can naturally recognize those disease symptoms in their pets. It is necessary to know that Cushings in a dog, no matter the size or breed, would cause them to be dehydrated and muscle wasting.
How to get your pet diagnosed?
Before you go to look for the best available option.
A menu search for a special food product to provide support in case of Cushing’s disease.
The diagnosis of this disease must be established in dogs with cushing’s disease.
It can be challenging to diagnose and requires expensive tests. Firstly, you must talk to a veterinarian.
Then, the vet will run blood and urine tests to look for signs to point to Cushing’s disease.
The first sign of dogs with cushing’s disease may be diluted urine, which indicates excessive water intake.
Another sign may be an elevated amount of a liver enzyme called alkaline phosphatase in canines that have cushing.
Further tests for Cushing’s disease might include:
- An ACTH test: The pituitary gland produces adrenocorticotrophic (ACTH) hormone, which signals to the adrenal gland when it should produce cortisol and in what amount. When it comes to this test, the veterinarian will check the cortisol level in your dog’s blood first. Then the vet will give an injection, which is a synthetic version of this hormone. After a few hours, the cortisol levels are rechecked. A dog suffering from Cushing’s disease will show a significant increase in cortisol levels. Higher cortisol levels shorten a canines life span.
- The first version of an LDDS test: This test is a low-dose suppression of dexamethasone that is considered accurate for diagnosis. Keep in mind that your pup must stay for 8 hours at the veterinary clinic. The current level of cortisol in your pup is measured first, and then a small dose of corticosteroids and dexamethasone is given. In those doggos with Cushing’s disease, cortisol levels should drop after eight hours after an added dose of corticosteroids and dexamethasone.
- The second version of an LDDS test: This test is slightly different from the one described above. The only difference is that a higher dose of dexamethasone is used. Therefore, the second version of this test is more accurate to pint to Cushing’s disease, than the first version.
- X-ray / Ultrasound: Dogs suffering from this disease have an enlarged liver and adrenal gland. Thanks to ultrasound, your vet can quickly determine this.
What are the available treatments?
The treatment options vary on the matter basis of Cushing’s syndrome. If it comes from a tumor on adrenal glands, it can be removed with surgery, and in that way, the canine will be cured and have a long life span. Surgery is not a matter basis if the tumor has spread to other parts of the body.
In other cases, when surgery is not a matter basis, your doggo can only live a normal life if using the right medications to treat its condition. The drugs must be used until the end of the pet’s life. The most common drug is trilostane (Vetoryl).
The whole process must take place in regular matter basis with your veterinarian. Your doggo must go for regular matter basis checkups and blood tests to determine the development of a tumor and treatment success.
No medication should be given to the doggo without consulting a veterinarian. All prescribed medications must be given to the canine at a specific time and according to a particular plan for the dog breeds.
Choosing the right canine food containing organ meats with an excellent rating is crucial. Besides the regular checkups at the vet clinic, and following the dog’s treatment plan, selecting the correct type of food is more than necessary for pet owners.
Choosing the right diet filled with egg whites will help your doggo not gain weight, improve muscle weakens, and improve digestive problems in cushing disease.
Many hound food options are available with egg whites on the market today to help alleviate the symptoms of this disease.
Based on consumer reviews, we present you with several choices that have met the needs of dogs with the syndrome.
Best Frequently Asked Questions About Choosing the Best Dry Dog Food Diet for Cushing’s Disease
Health Care Tips.
Is it Necessary to Supplement a Canine Cushing’s Disease Diet for Your Pup?
If your canine is getting an AAFCO-formulated diet for adult maintenance containing fiber and proteins, then you do not need to use supplements. However, antioxidant therapy and fish oil supplementation can lower circulating blood fats and triglycerides.
What Dog Food Diet Do Veterinarians Recommend for Canine Cushing’s Disease?
The food should be low in fats, sodium, and chloride, and it should be moderate in fiber containing egg whites. It should have highly digestible fiber proteins for dogs with cushing’s and meet the AAFCO recommendations for adult maintenance.
What are Other Diet Rating Recommendations Made for Dogs With Cushing’s Disease?
Ensure that dogs with cushing’s has a constant supply of drinking water and proteins. And if dogs with cushing’s are overweight experiencing lower energy levels, get the canines into a weight loss program with a veterinarian’s rating recommendation.
Taking care of a doggo with Cushing’s disease can turn into a rating overwhelming task, especially if you do not have the right information and product. Follow your veterinarian advice, stick to the medication rating provided, and provide your doggo with these four dry food product recommended for Cushing’s disease.
Some good changes can reduce your dog’s Cushing’s disease symptoms that include:
- High-quality food that is high in protein and low in fiber
- Low-fat food and low in fiber
- Food low in fiber
- Food that has low purine levels and fiber
- Diet Food low in carbohydrates and fiber
- Diet Food that is low in calcium and fiber
- The best dog food for Cushing’s disease: carrots, peas, green beans, potatoes, broccoli, celery, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, green peas, brussels sprouts, beef, bananas, watermelon (without seeds and rinds), apples, eggs, berries, pumpkins, chicken without bones or skin. Low in fiber.
- Try to keep away all grains, seafood, Beef, fiber and Pork liver food diet
- Look for the best high-quality homemade wet canine food / grain-free canned hound food / high protein kibble to include in the treatment that is low in fiber
- Keep in mnd medications have side effect. The side effect can cause your dog with cushing’s disease to have skin conditions then therapy may be needed a lot.
How do dogs with this disease die?
The diseases in dog with cushing’s disease can develop gradually or rapidly without a lot of therapy and the best commercial dog food. The speed of the development of agent diseases depends on many factors and the menu of product available. The range of survival is individual, but the average survival time for a dog is around two years. Some dogs manage to live up to 4 years, but only the small percentage.
Cushing syndrome in dogs must be treated correctly with the best treatments for Cushing’s in dogs and the best dry dog food product diet for cushings disease. You have all rights reserved to lower the fatty acids intake and ingredients containing fatty acids with links to specific product supplements causing bladder stones because of the fat. A menu with high protein, low fat, beneficial supplements, and product from the menu with ingredients that are on par with quality product. Remember low fat and high protein ingredients are the best option.
Cushings in dogs can not be cured completely, but the disease development process can be slowed down with a healthy diet and product. You have all rights reserved to make purchases of product to aid the prevention and slowing of this process to avoid kidney failure.
You have all rights reserved to find the best way to fight cushing in your pooch and loyal friend. Dm your friends that have canines with a high fat, low protein menu which contains ingredients that are unhealthy. Dm your friends this article and share our menu of ingredients that have low fat and high protein.