Keeping one’s beloved pet healthy is its owner’s primary responsibility. Although some might be overfeeding their pugs without them even noticing. Overweight pugs are common, and for some people, they may look cute. However, being overweight poses serious health risks for pugs, especially as they grow older. Pugs need to be put on special diets when they become overweight, plus they need more exercise. Putting a pug on a diet is not as easy as it sounds. Similar to a bulldog’s diet there are many factors involved, and you have to be mindful of the type of food it eats. Read on to find out more about how to manage your overweight pug. PS here is a New 50% discount! On raw dog that Pugs love and makes owners happy.
Why do pugs become overweight?
Pugs become overweight due to a variety of reasons. The first is that they tend to overeat. Pugs are not picky eaters and will eat almost anything offered to them.
Pugs are also known as a brachycephalic breed, which means that their head is shortened and can be seen through their noses, which appear pushed back. Due to this, they are often unable to exercise as much as other breeds, making them prone to obesity. So, you have to make sure you feed them right.
Reduced Activity level
They also tend to have breathing problems, which makes it difficult for them when on strenuous activities. This results in decreased physical activity, making your dog overweight. Lastly, there is a decrease in metabolism as pugs age; however, they retain the same appetite.
Obesity in Pugs: Discover all the causes and consequences
- Health problems include arthritis, difficulty breathing, heart problems, and respiratory problems.
- Overfeeding: pug puppies love to eat, and the foods they choose are unhealthy most of the time. Feeding your pug too much and too often will result in overweight dogs. Feed your pug treats sparingly, and their snacks should be monitored.
- Wrong feeding: their diet should remain healthy. Consider Wysong food or Raw Wild food.
- They lack exercise: exercise is vital to help your pug burn excessive calorie intake
Keeping your pug at a healthy weight
You will need to change your pug’s meals and manage its diet to help him lose weight. Diet guidelines vary – from dry food or fresh, homemade food, which will help extend your dog’s life and help you keep track of calories.
Kibble may be the right choice if your pug is a picky eater. That way, he won’t just select which ones to consume and will have no choice but to eat the entire kibble. This guarantees that he gets all the nutrition that he needs.
One thing that you can do to help your pug lose weight is to buy raw dog food. The raw option is highly digestible and is high in fiber – which is filling without adding too many calories. This combination can help your pug lose weight. This will also help fight obesity, is recommended by a vet, and helps prevent health issues. There are many ways that a pug can lose weight, but it all starts with a healthy diet for dogs. If your dog is new to raw dog food consider mixing wet and dry dog food in it to help your dog become used to eating raw dog food. PS Here is a 50% discount! On raw dog food that pugs love and makes owners smile =)
One of the things that could affect the life of your pug is the amount of connection they feel. Pug lovers must not only provide healthy meals, they should consider making treats and snacks as alternatives e.g. green beans or broccoli (low in fat). You also consider adding salmon oil to their meals as it promotes a healthy coat and skin.
Luckily, there are several home methods of making healthy alternatives if you don’t want to buy from a dog site. Usually, vets advise against cookies. Avoid alternatives with maggie. Again, in case you want to switch diets, it is better to get information from a professional.
Before you make a purchase
All thanks to experts, you should consider products that best address your dog’s needs. To be sure, consider a brand that has rights reserved. Also, to avoid buying from a website with affiliate advertising programs, it is better to go right to the source – the brand’s official page.
Pug Feeding Guidelines: The Best Food For An Obese Pug
- Pugs love food, and it’s no secret that it is a pug’s greatest motivator. With an obese pug, the best step is to control the amount they eat, and table food is never acceptable.
- For obese pugs, switching from wet to dry food will reduce their weight as this cuts back on their calorie intake.
- Always remember to keep treats to a minimum and to switch to kibble.
- Pugs should also be offered several kinds of foods to keep them entertained, prevent boredom, and weight gain..
- Commercial food is readily available and, usually, are good sources of protein and carbohydrates. On the other hand, homemade meals can be tastier than kibble and can also be more appealing to pugs when they see their bowl.
- A pug is not really a picky eater. In terms of quantity, as a general rule, you should be feeding them 2-2.5% of their body weight so they can shed the extra pounds. You can check out pet food sites that can help you understand how much you need to be feeding your pug. Per cup or per serving.
- Older pugs have a different diet compared to younger pugs. You should put your pug on a diet even before they reach old age as it is harder for them to lose weight when they become older.
- Exercising with your pug is a healthy and vital activity that will help them manage their weight better and will help you bond with your pet as well.
The calorie requirements of a pug vary between their weight and age. Typically, a healthy pug requires 40 calories per pound of body weight. Treats for obese pugs should be healthy. For example, they can have low calorie healthy dog cookies that are filling.
Dogs deserve care and attention, especially when they experience health issues. They are more susceptible to an obese figure for pugs due to their breed, lifestyle, and food intake. This is why your pug must be given the best diet because health starts with proper nutrition. Keeping your pug at a healthy weight will allow you to enjoy more years with them. Not only will they have longer lives, but they will be happier and more energetic as well. Healthy pugs not only will live longer, but they will also be happier and more playful. There are a lot of types of food there, but some stand out more than others! For instance, we have found the best dog food for your overweight pug. If you want your dog to be healthy, go ahead and click the link, and we promise you won’t regret it!