Top 10 Large Breed Puppy Food Reviews (Based on Reviews)
Puppies are one of the cutest creatures on earth. They are so adorable and easy to love. The best large breed puppy eventually grows into a bigger version of themselves- dogs and serve various purposes. First and best, pups develop close bonds with us as our best friends. Then the relationship grows and sometimes, our daily routines are incomplete without them. The closeness we share with them impacts our life in various ways. We are fast to turn to them for comfort when we’re down emotionally because they are there and never judge or complain. Again, they ensure our safety through their impeccable instincts.
To ensure their healthy living then, pet parents take nutrition seriously. Depending on their preference, dry food enthusiasts turn to experts before making a decision. Aside from professional advice, it’s important to consider your pet’s age, predisposition to allergies, and other crucial factors. Our Top 10 large breed puppy foods have taken some of these factors into consideration and here is our opinion.
Best Large Breed Puppy Food Reviews
Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Protein Natural Dry Dog Food
Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Protein Natural Dry Dog Food
Taste of the Wild grain-free puppy formula is our pick according to large breed puppy food reviews. The top rated spot due to the ratings. We found that about 95% of buyers recommended the product with a whopping 4.7 out of 5 stars. The following are some of the best large breed dogs feedback on this food brand:
Real review by Terri on Jun 14 2020 on Taste the wild grain-free high protein natural dry dog food.
“Love all the flavor choices!”
“This is a good quality dog food. I like how it agrees with my dog’s digestive system. But what I appreciate about my order from Chewy is that the bag of dog food did not arrive all in crumbs like my previous dog food purchase from another company. Price is comparable to where I bought this item previously.”
Real review by EburgMom on Jun 11, 2020
“Bo likes it!”
“To be fair, while my rescue dog, Bo, loves Taste of the
Wild he is not a picky eater. However, his digestive system is somewhat picky, and my Vet likes this dog food. It took some trial and error to find a dog food that was healthy enough, vet-approved and works for Bo. Taste of the Wild High meets all three criteria. I typically combine it with Taste of the Wild’s Southwest Canyon.”
Real review by JAyDub on Jun 10, 2020
“All you want for your dog!!”
“This product has it all!! Read the ingredients as I am sure you proud dog owners do!! It’s got it all … not simply because of the ingredients… but it has the most important aspect… great Taste… my pup loves it!!”
Taste of the wild is a real treat for growing large breeds especially a puppy. The large breed puppy food is an excellent choice for activeness as it contains amino acids and a lean protein source for muscle growth. Plus, there are no hidden flavors in the puppy food. The grain-free recipe for any large breed puppy is best served with love. It has more fruits and veggies like sweet potatoes, potatoes, blueberries, raspberries, tomatoes to ensure balanced nutrition for your puppy. Consequently, helping their immune system reach its full potentials. If you prefer all-natural nutrition with a wild caught sense, this is definitely worth your consideration.
Type: Non-Gluten puppy food
Main Ingredients: Buffalo, lamb meal, Bison, Pea protein, and egg.
- The food has a mega combination of essential ingredients like fruits vegetables and proteins for large breed puppies.
- There’s something in the name too; it takes your dog closer to its large wild-life family.
- No puppy can resist the burst of flavor; it is vibrant and attractive.
- Levels of calcium is ideal for early life stages.
- It contains antioxidants, vitamin C, and lycopene best for puppy’s vitality.
- Perfect for puppies with hypersensitivity to proteins like beef or chicken.
- Best grain-free diet for extensive allergy protection.
Room for Improvement: This may not be an excellent pick for your puppy if it has fish allergies
Top Rated Puppy Food for Large Breed
Purina Pro Plan- Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro is a top-rated puppy food because it focuses on a proven formula. The formula is made up of high-quality ingredients best for the all-round growth of your large breed puppy. Its fish oil component contributes to brain and eye development respectively. From a nutritional angle, the puppy food makes an excellent choice. Again, it is available in several flavors allowing for variations in taste so that there is no monotony of taste for your puppy.
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Brewer’s rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry by-product meal (dried egg product instead of whole eggs)
- Best crunchy wholesome nutrition for large breed puppies.
- Provides the essential building blocks essential in puppy food.
- Rich in antioxidants to strengthen the immune system.
- High protein content and glucosamine for joints and cartilage development
- Made with live probiotics that aids digestion
- Maintains healthy weight in large breed puppies.
Room for Improvement: Manufacturers should consider chelating a significant portion of minerals present in the food so that large breed puppies can better absorb and ultimately digest the food.
Top 10 Large Breed Puppy Foods (Based On Reviews)
Second Best Rated Large Breed Puppy Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
The pet food brand Blue Buffalo is well respected in the industry as a result of the quality they provide for dogs and dog-lovers. This respect is unwavering for large breed puppies. Several reviews say this much. This puppy product is an appropriate blend for puppies since it contains both grains and meat but has no corn wheat. It is, in this regard, an excellent choice for large breed puppies suffering from allergies because there is no struggle in munching on the food and ultimately digesting it.
Type: Nutritious grain – carbohydrates inclusive
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, chicken meal carbohydrates, nutritious grains, antioxidants and omega-3, and six fatty acids.
- Omega fatty acids reduce the risk of arthritis in large breed puppies.
- The formula is poultry free but contains antioxidants essential for a puppy’s immune function specifically.
- The recipe offers nutritious dry puppy diet with lots of Protein.
- Deboned chicken, chicken meal, and whole grains are an explosive combo since they keep the energy levels high but balance.
- Blue Buffalo is relatively low in fat,(an essential detail in a growing puppy) with about 14 percent. It does not propagate the fatty tendencies of your pup.
Room for Improvement: Dried yeast is present but could be more controlled for the sake of large breed puppies with yeast allergies.
3. Iams –Proactive Heath smart puppy large breed dry dog food
Iams had the best interest of large breed puppies at heart when creating the recipe for this food. The nutritional information of the recipe fully represents the most essential for your large breed. Your pup will love this fine breed puppy food because it has no filler content. The food promotes strength and agility while propagating the health of your large breed pup.
Type: wholesome grain inclusive
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Ground Wholegrain Corn, Wholegrain Sorghum, Chicken By-product Meal, and Corn Grits.
- Keeps the growth rate of puppy in check by providing the exact calories needed for growth.
- Contains nutrients like phosphorus and calcium for a healthy bone structure vital in large breed puppies.
- Keeps muscle and bone development balance through its protein and calcium content.
- Rich in antioxidants for immune system boost for your puppy.
- Available in 7 presentations and three rich flavors.
Room for Improvement: food may contain some low-quality ingredients such as meat-by products that trigger allergic responses in a puppy. Manufacturers may consider improving on the quality of the ingredients or get replacements.
- Hill’s Science Diet Large Breed Dry Dog Food
Hill’s takes the pride of essential support through the first year of a large breed puppy’s life. Perhaps this is largely due to the expertise of the producers who are veterinarians, food scientists, and other professionals. The diet is formulated using fewer preservatives for complete health, so that nutrient source is as close to its natural state as possible. We appreciate the thought. In line with it; a balance is set and nutritional needs fully met. For instance chicken meal has a veggie compliment. The dog food pack comes with an instruction on food ration too.
Type: Gluten-inclusive (wheat, oats, sorghum, whole grain corn)
Main Ingredients: Chicken meal, whole grain wheat, whole grain oats, whole grain sorghum, corn gluten meal
- Enhances joint and cartilage development for motility in large breed species.
- It contains L-Carnitine that processes fat into energy and promotes complete health in large breeds.
- Rich in gluten-free formula for smooth blood circulation.
- The chicken meal has about 3-times more Protein than fresh chicken, so this is rich in Protein.
Room for Improvement: Monotony of flavor makes puppies tire out from eating the same thing over and over.
- Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy real lamb recipe
Diamond naturals guarantee’s an improved level of growth with easy digestion. The pasture-inclusive food has tocopherol as its only natural preservative. We love the first two ingredients on this – lamb and lamb meal. These, antioxidants and other ingredients keep your dog fit. The food is best for Dog owners on a budget without compromising on quality.
Main Ingredients: Lamb, lamb meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, and Ground White Rice
- An affordable option considering that the pack is about 40-pounds heavy.
- Improves stool formation.
- Great for transitioning puppies.
- Available in 4 presentations and two flavors.
- Contains antioxidants for general well-being
Room for Improvement: causes digestive upset in puppies. Manufacturers should consider using other quality ingredients.
- CANIDAE Grain-Free pure Dry Dog Food
An essential mix of vitamins and proteins designed in the form of turkey-meal, chicken meal, lamb, peas, and potatoes. CANIDAE is that puppy food with sun-cured alfalfa. Sun-cured feed has been shown to promote nutrient absorption. Keep in mind, that there are ongoing discussions as to its relevance in dog foods.
The protein content exceeds the recommended minimum of 18% approved by the FDA. An added protein source is the menhaden fish providing omega-three fatty acids. Sunflower completes the cycle by giving the other essential fatty acid; omega 6.
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Menhaden fish meal, lentils, peas, and potatoes.
- Chelated minerals to enhance food digestion in large breeds.
- High-end grain-free meal.
- Rich in high quality content – Protein.
Room for Improvement: almost all the ingredients in this food are of excellent quality, but the cellulose component could be better. Cellulase enzyme breaks down cellulose. In dogs, cellulase could tamper with digestion resulting in bowel movement dysfunction.
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This dry kibble is rich in proteins and free of grains. It comes in small chewable bits that your pup will have no trouble feasting on. Wellness CORE has flax and fish omega fat blends. They enhance your puppy’s coat. When your puppy feeds on CORE, you’re sure of being within the limits of phosphorus and calcium content. The brand uses a bulk of Low ash meat in their recipe, although most manufacturers don’t reveal their ash meat content. In using this product, several enthusiastic pet owners report that their pet’s health experienced a change.
Type: grain-free for sensitive puppies
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal.
- Protein powerhouse. About 80 percent more meat than other grain-based or meat by-products.
- Grain-free. Hence removing the challenge of grain allergic reactions.
- Promotes a leaner physique.
- Larger kibble size for the large breed.
- Safe source of nutrition thanks to essential vitamins, antioxidants, probiotics, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- It contains nutrients that promote healthy eyes, gums, and teeth.
Room for Improvement: some reviews complain about the price in comparison to other grain-free foods. This is especially common for pet parents on a budget, so it could be more budget-friendly.
- Royal Canin Large Puppy Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin is a large breed puppy food infused with nutrients to last puppies longer during their growth period. It has nutrients to help limit inflammation of the joints in breed puppies. The large breed food is highly rich in digestible proteins to ease digestion.
Type: Grain inclusive- Brewer’s rice, corn, and flour.
Main Ingredients: corn, chicken-by product, and Brewer’s rice.
- An inclusive diet with a combination of nutrients to support digestive health in large breeds.
- Digestible proteins and a balanced intestinal flora for good stool quality.
- The large breed puppy food supports healthy bones and joints. Thus making puppies less prone to stress caused by body weight.
- The product supports Immune system.
- Promotes a healthy skin and coat in large puppies.
Room for Improvement: the protein component is less, and some buyers on a budget complain about the price.
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula
Natural balance employs rigorous food testing and has years of consistency and quality under their belt. Their large breed puppy foods focus solely on using top-notch constituents. They go as far as making the results of various tests available online for potential clients. At the same time, the pricing of their products is cheaper than other ‘large breed puppy foods’ brands, but the only drawback is the exclusion of whole meat in its protein content.
Type: grain-free recipe
Main Ingredients: Lamb, brown rice formula.
- An excellent choice for puppies with sensitive digestive tracts.
- Price for puppy foods is lower than most comparable brands.
Room for Improvement: other essential oils can be used in place of the canola oil. Better integration of a whole protein source is recommendable for optimal growth in developing large breed.
- Blue Wilderness Large–Breed Puppy Food
This is a protein-packed product with the necessary amount of minerals. Calcium and phosphorus keep the bones healthy and super strong for the expected body weight of a large breed. It contains lean chicken alongside healthy veggies leaving out the fillers and additives. Blue Buffalo Wilderness protein-rich kibble is perfect for developing large breed muscles, and it’s loaded with DHA to build healthy brains. The calcium and phosphorous levels ensure that your puppy can keep up with the stress large bodies go through. It also features a kibble size that’s perfect for puppies and fits easily into their mouth.
Main ingredients: Deboned Chicken,
Chicken Meal, Peas, Pea Protein
- Easy-to-love taste and improves stool.
- Source of calcium and phosphorous for healthy bones.
- Grain-free formula eliminates regular food-related allergies.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids promote healthy skin and smooth coats
- Deboned chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal for protein supply and growth.
- Sweet potatoes and potatoes provide healthy complex carbohydrates; making a vibrant blend of essential nutrients. Adding a friendly kind of fullness.
- Blueberries, cranberries, and carrots support antioxidant-enrichment and doubles as a fruit supplement.
Room for Improvement: some of its ground ingredients could be easily replaced with more nutritional content.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Makes Dry Dog Food Stand Out From Wet Dog Food?
The decision to feed your pet on a kind of dog food should stem out of a veterinarian’s opinion. That’s a leading reason for this exposition. To be sure, the best large breed Dry dog food and wet Dog food will provide your dog with nutrients, but here is why dry dog food stands out even for adult dogs:
- Dry food is most convenient for feeding and storage.
- Super convenient for a large breed puppy; you’ll leave enough in the feeding bowl without making a mess.
- Has a longer shelf-life. Method of serving is one label but it’s best to consult a veterinarian.
How Is My Large Breed Puppy Different Than a Small Breed Puppy?
According to their genetic make-up, a large breed puppy tends to grow faster and bigger in a short while. It takes about 20 months for a typical large breed dog to reach maturity, a little longer than it takes other puppies. They are often more accepting of children and have high endurance. They, like the giant breed, are easier to train too.
Do large breed puppies need special food?
Our best large breed comparison alone shows the special care a large breed puppy needs. Large breed puppies have a larger stomach and will typically consume more than other puppies. So, the breed puppy needs food with the right amount of calories. The best large breed puppy diet must be rich in nutrients.
How to Choose the Healthiest Top Rated Large Breed Puppy Food?
Food for large breed puppies is easily the best dog food. All large breed puppies have a few characteristics that set them apart amid puppies. Dogs are omnivores, and their nutrition should satisfy many patterns. A large breed puppy needs a balanced diet like human beings need a balanced meal. So, natural ingredients, vitamins-minerals are great compliments in large breed puppy formula. If carbs are included, they are in regulated measures. Although, no food for large breed dogs fully satisfies the criteria, every owner will find a diet in the highest quality that works for your puppy. In general, if you must compare foods for large pet amid brands before making a decision, the following are features you want to look for in the best food for your large breed puppy:
The best large breed puppy in health and nutrition optimize proteins more. Proteins are essential for growth. The best large breed puppy diet helps maintain healthy muscles and tissues. Protein is an integral component because large breed dogs have fat content and are prone to fat-related diseases. So, you want to look out for large breed puppy chicken, beef, salmon, and others.
Artificial ingredients and other additives
Some food for large breed dog food contain artificial colors, flavors, and other related additives. The intention is to make them more palatable to the taste. Even though such additions could impact the consumption of your puppy, it could also trigger food allergies. If the food is made from top-quality ingredients, color is not essential.
Certain dog food for large pets have added meat products. Now, puppy food may sometimes require a boost in the flavoring. Many top-rate large breed puppy food manufacturers add these to their recipes. However, it is crucial to avoid buying food meals with unidentified meat products for large breed puppies.
Food for large pets must have these because antioxidants have the same function in humans and animals. They work best for the immune system as a first line of action against foreign bodies. Their presence is in the form of colorful fruits and vegetables. Any breed puppy formula rich in these as well as vitamins and minerals is highly recommended. Glucosamine and chondroitin are not left out.
Quality control and high safety standards
You notice that the savor and the Taste of food are what your puppy reacts to first. So you want to be sure that your dog food is free of toxicants and packaged in the right AAFCO requirements. Added DHA matters too. There is no foolproof method of testing this; however, it is best to consider buying from top countries, including the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, or Western Europe. Lastly, consider checking through customer reviews via email as well as price listings.
The nutritional needs of large breed puppies are unique and distinct from smaller puppies. Regardless, all puppies should follow a high-quality diet. Of course, there is a fine line to walk through in ensuring that a large breed stays in great shape and healthy. Some of the essential things to note here are;
- Large breed puppies remain puppies for a more extended period.
- They grow faster by the day, so expect health puppy hazards too.
- Even the best large breed puppy is prone to diseases.
The reality is that your puppy can stay as healthy as much as the attention you pay to its feeding. While it’s great to follow the ad’s choice, it’s better to choose a brand that meets your needs best. It’s tough to beat the first-hand experience so you can rely on the recommendations. The more positive reviews a brand has, the more reliant they are. Although there are many brands out there, we hope that our review helps you make the right choice.